The irony of Tullis-Toledano Manor is the first advertised Mississippi Coast gambling was at a 19th-century hotel on the same site as this antebellum home, which now lies crushed beneath a beached gambling barge. |
The structure, made of red-clay bricks from this region, was not as grand as some architecture from the 1850s, but its history reflects Biloxi culture. In modern times there was the manor, the "slaves quarters" that also housed a kitchen, and another house thought to have originally been for carriages.
First manor residents were Christoval and Mathilde Toledano, who married in New Orleans. Toledano, who fought in the Battle of New Orleans, was a philanthropist. One of their children's names was Camille, a name to later haunt the estate.
The Tullis part comes from Garner Tullis, a Louisiana cotton merchant who bought the manor in 1927. The land stayed in his family until the city bought it in 1975 to turn it into a preservation landmark.
Hurricane Camille badly damaged the manor in 1969; during restoration the city returned it and the slave quarters to their original appearance, using them as a museum and popular site for weddings and local gatherings.
Hurricane Katrina deposited the Grand Casino Biloxi barge atop the manor site.
- KAT BERGERON